Hey guys! I could not wait to try out this next project—Homemade Lip Color! I heard through the grapevine that it was possible to make homemade lipstick/lipgloss simply using Crayola Crayons and some type of carrier—Coconut Oil or Shea Butter…in this case I used both. Here’s my try at making my own lip color…hopefully I won’t make a complete mess 😳
What you’ll need
- Crayola Crayons
- Coconut Oil
- Shea Butter
- Double Boiler or 1 pot and a heat-safe mixing bowl
- Something to stir with
- Container: Lipstick or Lipgloss tubes/ Beading container/ Daily Medicine container—”lip color” container
What to do
- First prepare your station. Set your water to boil either using a double boiler or a pot and a heat-safe mixing bowl. Once the water begins to boil, set your stove to medium-low heat. In your mixing bowl, place 1/2 crayon, making sure there is no left over “crayola” paper residue on the crayon.
- The crayon will begin to melt fairly quick, make sure to stir the wax to keep it from boiling. Next add 1/2 teaspoon of Coconut Oil and 1/2 teaspoon of Shea Butter to the wax, thoroughly mixing everything together.
- Quickly and carefully pour the wax mixture into your “lip color” container. It’s important that you move fast as the wax will harden once away from the stove
- Once the wax hardens, apply to your lips and enjoy!
This method gave me a product with a glossy finish. If you would like something more thick and closer to a lipstick, simply use more wax or decrease the amount of coconut/shea butter that is used.
It’s important to mention that although this project seems really simple, it is no easy task. Without proper materials, it can be rather difficult to work with the wax—it’s messy and difficult to pour. I suggest using a candle wax container to help make the process a little easier.
It was my intention to make more colors, however I did not have the best equipment and I did not want to hear my mom complain about how I’m messing up her kitchen 😜
Check out the short vid below to see the process and finished product of my homemade lip color!!!
Update: here’s a pic showing a more vibrant color!!!!
Stay tuned for a follow up video!!!